‘Statue of Unity’ is more than double the Statue of Liberty, which is 93 metres tall. The Base of the statue is 240 meters high and the bridge will connect the island to the river bank.
Status Of Unity
1. The base includes a memorial, a visitor centre, a convention centre, a garden and an amusement park. The total project cost is estimated to be Rs. 2989 crore. Choice of the site was dictated by the proximity of the Sardar Sarovar dam, which is 3.2 kilometres upstream.
2. The site connected with modern connectivity infrastructure such as expressways improved rail system and helipads Scientific area planning, clean industries located around the project site. Research facilities in the area of biotechnology, clean energy and ethnic crafts will generate white collar jobs in this area.
3. Location of educational institutions in the areas of agriculture, animal husbandry, pisciculture expected to support economic activity. Indian sculptor Ram V Sutar designed the monument.
4. Status of unity Includes unique museum and audio-visual department depicting life and times of Sardar Vallabhbai Patel.Laser, Light and Sound show on efforts of Unification of India. A research centre dedicated to subjects close to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel’s heart.
5. Heavy-load open lift with a panoramic view will be built alongside the Statue of Unity. Visitors get a panoramic view from an astounding height of close to 400ft.
6. Refreshment areas like restaurants and recreational spots to make the project area an attractive tourist spot. Statue and surrounding area will be accessed by special boats to avoid vehicular traffic and pollution.
Timeline Of Status Of Unity
7. First announced in 2010 when Modi was Gujarat CM.
The state government set up a special purpose vehicle to build a statue. Modi laid the foundation stone in October 2013 and engineering firm L&T was awarded the contract.
8. Geotechnical and hydrological Surveys were completed in April 2015. Wind tunnel tests, detailed light, shadow study were conducted with an aim to determine the orientation. Construction of RCC core was completed up to 25 metres of the statue.
9. By June 2017 the statue core wall, statue base, statue base arches completed and the statue was completed up to 59 metres. In July 2018, RCC core was completed up to 157 metres, where a gallery will be placed. It took 42 months to complete structure.
Zone Of Status Of Unity
10. Divided into Five zones – Zone I: Exhibit floor, mezzanine and
roof, Zone II: Extends up to the statue’s thighs, Zone III: Viewing gallery at 153 mts, Zone IV: Maintenance area, Zone V: Head and shoulders.
Iron Man Of India Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
1934: Became Congress’ fundraiser and chairman of Central Parliamentary Board. He Played a key role in selecting and financing candidates for upcoming elections in 1934, 1936.
He Didn’t want the party to be distracted from the goal of complete independence in1936 he Opposed Nehru’s declaration of adoption of socialism at Congress session.
565 princely states were given the option of joining either India or Pakistan or choosing independence. 6 May 1947: Patel began lobbying princes.
Patel invoked patriotism of the rulers of these princely states
Set 15 August 1947 as the deadline to sign the instrument of accession. Other than J&K, Junagadh and Hyderabad, all states willingly merged.
Tallest Statues In The World
- Spring Temple Buddha in China (128 m)
- Laykyun Setkyar standing Buddha in Burma (116 m)
- Guanyin of South Sea of Sanya, China, (108 m)
- Ushiku Daibutsu, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan (100 m)
- Sculptures of Chinese Emperors Yan and Huang (106 m) Sendai Daikannon, Japan (100 m)
- Guishan Guanyin of the Thousand Hands and Eyes, China (99 m)
- Peter the Great Statue, Russia (98 m)
- Status of Liberty, U.S (93 m)
- Great Buddha of Thailand (92 m)
- The Kannon statue in Hokkaido, Japan (88 m)