Indian city Delhi is all set to use hydrogen enrich CNG buses for public transport from next year. this will make the national capital the first city in India to launch what will be known as Hydrogen enriched compressed natural gas (HCNG) buses. HCNG considered a cleaner source of fuel and more powerful and offers more mileage almost 4 to 5% higher than petrol & diesel.
In order to help study the technology as well as IT infrastructure needs the Government of Delhi has tied up with Indian Oil Corporation Limited for 50 HCNG fuel buses on a trial basis.
HCNG Buses In Delhi
The Indian Oil Corporation Limited plants to test the performance of buses as well as reduce emissions by mixing 18 to 20% of hydrogen to Compressed Natural Gas in every bus.
The Supreme Court has directed the Delhi government to introduce zero emission and cost-effective public transport buses in Delhi. A Hindustan Times report coated Delhi transport commissioner Varsha Joshi saying that the best thing about HCNG is that it does not require any modification of the engine or retrofitment, only some calibration is required in the bus and whatever work is needed will be done at the Depot.
Initially at HCNG will be used in 50 buses of the cluster scheme. for which dispensing infrastructure will be installed at one before. According to the director of research and development of IOCL, The move will be significant as it will be the second big transformation to a cleaner fuel for the national capital state.
To convert all of Delhi is existing 5500 CNG bus fleet tour HCNG the government will be required for hundred terms of the fuel on a daily basis as well as 48 compact steam Methane reforming units that produce hydrogen for the HCNG fuel.
Earlier the Delhi government had finalized plans to procure 960 electric buses at a cost of 2.5 crore rupees each to curb pollution. for following the supreme court directed to explore the feasibility of hydrogen buses. the city government is now set to use HCNG fuel in CNG buses.
Reducing carbon footprint and stopping the effects of climate change. this has for scientist and researchers to come up with alternative fuels. hence the use of hydrogen as a future fuel for internal combustion engines is being considered.
What Is HCNG?
In recent years the demand for alternative fuels has increased manifold because of the suffocating air pollution levels across the country, especially in the national capital Delhi. emphasis on reducing pollutant emissions has posed researchers and scientists to develop an alternative fuel that is environmentally friendly.
For the reduction in engine emissions using alternative fuels has become one of the major fields in engine development. the use of hydrogen as a future fuel for internal combustion engines is also being considered.
Advantages Of HCNG
- Hydrogen considered a promising fuel for the automotive sector.
- HCNG is a blend of Hydrogen and CNG.
- Ideal Hydrogen concentration at 18%.
- HCNG reduces the emission of CO up to 70%.
- Enables up to 5% savings in fuel.
- The first step towards a future Hydrogen economy.
- Engines can be calibrated to release lower amounts of NO.
- Engines need minimum modifications to run on HCNG.
- Helps promote the use of hydrogen at a lesser cost.
- Increases efficiency, reduces the emission of petrol engines.
- Thermal efficiency increases with increase in load.
- Ideal fuel for high load applications, heavy-duty vehicles.
- Better performance due to the higher octane rating of Hydrogen.
- Engine performance increases with the addition of Hydrogen.
HCNG can help the hydrogen industry to develop volume and transportation solutions while reducing cost. Trials have been held in countries like the US Canada Brazil and South Korea.
Hydrogen gas can play an important role for a promising alternative fuel type for diesel engines. this technology comes with certain challenges and one of the biggest is the commercialization of this fuel as it needs new infrastructure.
Natural gas is a fuel which is widely used as an alternative to hydrocarbons. it’s not only used in the form of LPG CNG and LNG for also as liquefied compressed natural gas or else LCNG and hydrogen compressed natural gas HCNG.
HCNG is a new trend in the Natural Gas sector that is seen as the fuel of the future. it is eco-friendly in nature. but there are few challenges in popularizing the fuel.
What are the biggest challenges using at HCNG as a fuel for an engine?
Disadvantage Of HCNG
- Determining the most optimised hydrogen/natural gas ratio.
- The most evident challenge for widespread use of the new fuel is the current lack of infrastructure. similar to other gaseous fuels natural gas and hydrogen about lighter than air. if there is a leave it will quickly disappear in the air to a with adequate ventilation.
- Emission levels of fuels are probably the most important factor in determining if the fuel is suitable as an alternative fuel or not.
- Cost of hydrogen is higher than the cost of natural gas resulting in HCNG being more costly than CNG.