Technically Shield gas is a natural gas produced from Rocky structures. which is different from natural gas produced from sand and limestone. they are rich in organic material and are usually measured in petroleum source rock.Only high heat and pressure on these rocks produces natural gas. which is much cleaner compared to Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG). the word Shield is usually used for any sedimentary rock that contains solid bituminous substances like keratin.
When this rock is heated by paralysis a chemical process then the keratin petroleum comes out in the form of a liquid substance which is called Shale oil.Growing population and industrialization are impacting every aspect of our lives. this also includes the availability of Energy. There are Limited energy sources on earth but the manner of exploiting it and use, available reserves are been constantly depleted.
Which is why the use of Shale gas has taken Center stage. the discovery of Shale oil is not new but its production is challenging and expensive.The seventies show a revolution in crude oil production. all Gulf countries including the Arab Nations were identified as energy centers. the continuous availability of oil over the past six decades has only enhanced the importance of these Nations over the years.
But the diminishing capacity of the Limited oil reserves has increased concerns in many countries. that is why various countries including the US and India are directing their focus on Shale oil and gas.Shale oil is formed by the accumulation of organic waste for millions of years. due to heat and pressure for a long time, these biological substances turn into shell Oil.
Shale Oil Extraction Process
- Shale rocks are mined out, broken into small pieces and transported to the processing plant.
- Heated at approximately 500 degrees Celsius ie 930 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Due to high heat, oil comes out as steam from these rocks.
- Situ technique is used where oil shale is broken by the explosion.
- Rock is heated.
- Electrical heating also used.
- Kerogen comes out like crude oil from these rocks.
Scope Of Shale Gas In India
Under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Union Cabinet has approved the policy to allow exploration and exploitation of non-conventional shell oil/gas.In the initial studies, the potential shell gas/oil resources have been assessed by different international agencies in the range of 100-200 TCF in the 5 Indian sediment basin.
Scope Of Shale Gas In India (Oil and Natural Gas Corporation) ONGC Estimates
- Shale Gas resources of 187.5 Trillion Cubic Feet
- Locations: Cambay, KG, Cauvery, Ganga & Assam
Central Mine Planning and Design Institute(CMPDI) Estimates
- Resources of 45.8 TCF.
- Gondwana basin.
Scope Of Shale Gas In India (United States Geological Survey)USGS Estimates
- Estimates technical recoverable shale gas of 6.1 TCF.
- Cambay, KG & Cauvery.
- Estimates of 62 million barrels of shale oil from Cambay Basin alone.
Shale Gas Resources Place In the United Nation
- East Virginia
Shale Gas Resources (Environmental Impact Assessment)EIA Report 2013
- Total world reserves – 7,299 trillion cubic feet
- China – 1,115 trillion cubic feet
- Argentina – 802 trillion cubic feet
- Algeria – 707 trillion cubic feet
- United States – 665 trillion cubic feet
- Canada – 573 trillion cubic feet
- Mexico – 545 trillion cubic feet
- Australia- 437 trillion cubic feet
- South Africa – 390 trillion cubic feet
- Russia – 285 trillion cubic feet
- Brazil – 245 trillion cubic feet
- India – 95 trillion cubic feet