The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is the list of Indian citizens of Assam. NRC Final list 2018 Current affairs for upcoming competitive examination. we will understand NRC dispute in Assam with its history and Assam accord.The large-scale migration into Assam and the North-East gave rise to a specific type of problem that pitted the local communities. Illegal migration issue has taken political and sometimes violent in Assam State.
The Assam Movement from 1979 to 1985 is the best example of such movements against illegal migration. The Central Government of India and Supreme Court of India suspected that there were huge numbers of illegal Bengali Muslim settlers from Bangladesh and Pakistan.
All Assam Students’ Union (AASU) which is not affiliated to any political party has led an illegal migration movement In 1979 and to resolve this movement central government done an accord with AASU and Assam Government.
Image From NCERT Book
History Of The National Register of Citizens(NRC)
- 1951 NRC compiled exclusively for Assam.
- Assamese nationalist leaders feared a post-Partition conspiracy by Pakistan to effect demographic change in state.
- A steady influx of migrants in Assam even during British rule.
- The British brought migrant workers to Assam from West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh to work in tea plantations.
Updating The The National Register of Citizens(NRC)
- The process is undertaken as per provisions of The Citizenship Act, 1955 and The Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules, 2003.
- Eligibility for inclusion in updated NRC on the basis of NRC, 1951 and Electoral Rolls up to the midnight of 24th March 1971.
- Other documents like land and tenancy records, citizenship certificates, permanent residential certificates and passports up to midnight of March 24, 1971, can also be submitted.
- For applicants born after 1971, documents pertaining to one’s ancestor can be submitted.
- Documents proving relationships like a birth certificate or land documents can also be attached.
Illegal immigrants (Scheduled by Tribunal) (IMDT) Act 1983 was an Act of Parliament of India enacted by the Indira Gandhi Government.
- Enquiries were initiated in 3,10,759 cases.
- Only 10,015 persons declared illegal migrants.
- 1,481 illegal migrants physically expelled.
Process Of Updating The National Register of Citizens(NRC)
- 2,500 NRC Seva Kendra established.
- Each Seva Kendra had at least ten villages.
- Legacy data published after scrutinising all the documents.
- Application forms were distributed.
- 31 August 2015 was the last date for submission of application.
- Examinations of applications began on September 1, 2015.
- Detecting and deporting foreign immigrants in Assam.
- Regularising all those who came to Assam before Jan 1, 1966.
- Detection of foreigners who came between Jan 1, 1966, and Mar 24, 1971.
- Foreigners to be dealt as per the Foreigners Act, 1946, Foreigners (Tribunals) Order, 1964.
- Names of foreigners detected to be deleted from electoral rolls.
- Such persons to register themselves before District Registration Officers.
- Registration as per Registration of Foreigners Act, 1939 and Registration of Foreigners Rules, 1939.
- Centre assured to strengthen the governmental machinery.
- Names to be restored in electoral rolls on expiry of ten years after the date of detection.
- All those who re-entered Assam illegally to be expelled.
- Foreigners who came to Assam on or after March 25, 1971, shall continue to be detected, deleted and expelled.
- Govt to address difficulties in implementation of Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act, 1983.
- Clause 6: Constitutional, legislative and administrative safeguards.
- Clause 6: Protect, preserve and promote cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of Assamese people.
- Clause 7: Govt renews commitment for the economic development of Assam.
- Clause 7: Special emphasis on education and Science & Technology.
We have provided also a quiz on Assam and previous Year Question Related to Assam. and for more previous year questions install Gkpaho android app now-Click Here
0 of 5 questions completed
Press Start Button
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading...
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You have to finish following quiz, to start this quiz:
0 of 5 questions answered correctly
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 points, (0)
- Question 1 of 5
Question No. 1
Kamarup is an ancient name of which region of India? (SSC CHSL (10+2) Tier-I (CBE) Exam. 08.09.2016 Ist Sitting)Correct
- Question 2 of 5
Question No. 2
The Assam State derives its name from that of a tribe that conquered the region. Where did the tribesmen come from ? (SSC Combined Graduate Level Prelim Exam. 11.05.2008)Correct
Burma (now Myanmar)Incorrect
Burma (now Myanmar)
- Question 3 of 5
Question No. 3
Which of the following is a famous Assamese festival ?(FCI Assistant Grade-III Exam. 5.02.2012)Correct
- Question 4 of 5
Question No. 4
Which of the following schedules contains special provisions for the administration of tribal areas in the four northeastern states of Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram((SSC CGL Tier-I (CBE) Exam. 08.09.2016)Correct
- Question 5 of 5
Question No. 5
The only ape of India found in hill forests of Assam and Nagaland is(SSC Tax Assistant (Income Tax & Central Excise Exam. 25.11.2007)Correct