Here we will discuss Commander Abhilash Tomy biography his achievements along with survival story at golden globe race. Commander Abhilash Tomy is one of the most celebrated sailors and a pilot in the Indian Navy. on the 30th of September 2018, Prime Minister Narendra Modi Praise the naval Commander for his courage at high Seas and desired meetings with Tomy. the Prime Minister said Tomy is a rare example of courage, determination, strength and bravery.
|Birth||5 February 1979 (age 39)|
|Father Name||Lieutenant Commander (retired) V C Tomy|
|Mother Name||Not Available|
|Wife||Information Not Available|
|Known For||2018 Golden Globe Race|
|Awards||Kirti Chakra, Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award, MacGregor Medal|
After the successful recuse of Abhilash Tomy president Ramnath Kovind and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman not only Express relief on the rescue operation but also appreciated Australian and French efforts in the operation.39-year-old Commander Abhilash Tomy is the first Indian only the second Asian and overall the 79th person in the world to take part in the solo unassisted, nonstop, circumnavigation around the globe in “Golden Globe Race 2018”.
Abhilash Tomy Rescued Story
- Abhilash Tomy set to return home.
- Set sail in International solo.
- Circumnavigation Golden Globe Race 2018 on July 1, 2018.
- Indigenously-built boat Thuriya damaged due to rough weather
- Storm with 70-knot winds, 14-metre waves hit yachts of three sailors.
- Dutchman Mark Slats’ boat hit twice, Irish sailor Gregor McGuckin forced to abandon the wrecked yacht.
- Abhilash Tomy stranded 3,200 km off the coast of Western Australia.
- Tomy sent distress messages to organisers of Golden Globe Race.
- Tomy reported a severe back injury, was immobilised, unable to eat or drink.
- Several rescue teams deployed to save Abhilash Tomy.
- Indian Navy Reconnaissance aircraft traced Tomy’s yacht.
- French vessel Osiris reached Tomy after three days with a doctor, stretcher on board.
- Tomy has taken to Amsterdam Isle for medical evaluation, treatment
Tomy was awarded the Kirti Chakra, Tenzing Norgay National Adventure Award and MacGregor Medal for this valuable military reconnaissance. He covered 52000 miles under the Indian Navy. He also represented India in the 2011 Cape Town to Rio Race.
The Golden Globe Race
The Golden Globe race is one of the most exciting navel races. the participant has to travel nonstop and solo for 30000 Miles by yacht, that is not equipped with any modern technology accept the most basic communication equipment. the first Golden Globe race was held in 1968. at that time 9 sailors set sail around the world not stop. only one manage to complete the race.
- 1966: Francis Chichester began first solo sail.
- Francis Chichester sailed via five capes.
- Completed circumnavigation in 226 days.
- Francis Chichester was Knighted.
- Nine sailors took part in the first race.
- Four sailors retired early in the competition.
- Chay Blyth withdrew after sailing through Cape of Good Hope.
- Nigel Tetly retired after his yacht sank.
- Bernard Moitessier abandoned the race.
- Donald Crowhurst reported false positions, committed suicide.
- Robin Knox-Johnston completed the race.
‘Thuriya’ was dismasted when the boat was caught in a violent storm in the South Indian Ocean, approximately 1900 nautical miles West of Perth, Australia. Cdr Abhilash Tomy suffered a severe back injury and dropped out of the race. Indian Navy launched ‘Operation Raksham’ to rescue the injured Abhilash Tomy by immediately deploying the Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance Aircraft P8I in the area staging through Mauritius for providing close support and monitoring the rescue operations and diverted IN Ships Satpura and Jyoti to undertake Search and Rescue Operations.